Skip to main content

Featured

Welcome!

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by my shop. I'm Sarah, a young lady who loves the Lord and loves making quilts! I've been sewing for as long as I can remember- probably since I was 7 or 8 years old. I think back to some of my earlier creations and laugh! :) About eight years ago I made my first quilt, tracing my own pattern from a quilt on my parents' bed. I was so intrigued with their quilt and I would sit and stare at it, loving how all the pieces fitted together perfectly to form the different blocks that made up the quilt. Then one day I decided to trace the pieces on their quilt and make my own. So, I made my first quilt and I haven't stopped since! :) It just pushes my happy button SOO much to work with fabric and turn it into a lovely quilt. Throughout the years it has always been a dream of mine to start my own quilting business. In 2019 I made some baby quilts for my newborn niece and my cousin's baby, and I got the idea to start making and selling baby qu

Jacob's Ladder Quilt Tutorial // Part 2

Here we are to finish the Jacob's Ladder twin quilt! But before we get to that I just wanted to say that I added a mitered corner border on this quilt, and I failed to get any pictures of it. But! I did another tutorial just for a mitered corner border here, so you can check it out if you want that on your quilt.
Now it is time to baste your quilt! Get your backing and quilt top ironed, and tape the backing to the floor. You don't want the fabric to have any wrinkles or slack, but it doesn't need to be unnaturally tight. I have found the best way is to tape opposite sides one at a time, staring with the shorter sides.
 Lay the batting down. Try to smooth out any bumps or wrinkles. 
Lay the quilt top on top of the batting. 
Start in the center of the quilt and begin pinning every so often. Smooth the quilt as you go.  I probably should have used more pins than I did, but it was a pretty big quilt and that's all the pins I had. :)
I quilted in the ditch along the red/white and the white/blue squares. Hopefully this picture and the one below will help you see what I am talking about. 
Trim the backing to 1 inch. Fold to the edge of the quilt and fold again; pin.
When you come to the corners, draw a line from where the quilt stops to 1 inch from the folded edge.
Fold on that line.
Fold backing to the edge of the quilt. 
Fold again and pin; sew. 
Now for the finished pictures!
This quilt is now on my brother's bed and hopefully he will get many years of use out of it. :) 

I hope this tutorial was helpful and maybe even inspired you to make a quilt! ♥
-The Quilting Rose



Comments